Thursday 12 March 2009

My ergonomic office chair

The ergonomic chair that I selected took quite some finding – several weeks of online retailer and store hunting to be precise.

You can get a number of good looking “ergonomic” chairs with exoskeletal like frames, headrests and numerous other aesthetic features for up to £300 Stirling (UK). They look great, have masses of style and could be placed on display in galleries, but that was not my objective.

These “designer” chairs are a complete waste of money and tend to have very few adjustments with style conquering functionality in all but a few cases.

What I was after

Probably the best top line ergo office chair is the Herman Miller Aeron in its various incarnations. This chair starts at over £700 and goes well beyond £1,000 in its “fully loaded” state. Furthermore, I can confirm that it is supremely comfortable – if you have that kind of money!

I however do not (or at least I cannot justify it on a home office chair) and that left me with the challenge of finding all of the Aeron features on a much less expensive alternative. This I managed to do.

The chair that I have ordered is sold through numerous outlets with and with different brand names and it is used in many offices throughout the UK. It looks like most office chairs, has no mesh seat, no “on display” movement mechanisms, but it does do the job – I think!

Its big selling point is its flexibility in terms of adjustability. The chair has a wealth of important features that allow most aspects of the seat and backrest to be adjusted. These include seat height, tilt and depth, plus backrest angle, height and lumbar customisation. The armrests can also be moved up and down and swivelled in and out and the seat and backrest tilts can be locked or left open for free movement.

This is a seriously high spec chair, but at (for once) a non-rip-off price.

The cost of the chair is around £230 Stirling (UK) and it is available in different colours and with a fancy stainless steel base and castors at an extra £15. I have opted for the black base, but in a colourful material (to counteract my bland personality).

Once I get the chair, try it out for a few days, and form an opinion I will add some further comments.

I will no doubt add some photos and I may demonstrate the functionality of the ergonomic chair’s features on a ytube video if I find the time and have the inclination.

No comments:

Post a Comment